The basic definition of numerology is the study of the meanings of numbers and the influence they have on life and destinies.
More than 2,000 years ago, Pythagoras (a great mathematician), believed that the key to understanding the Universe was hidden in the science of numbers and felt that by interpreting their symbolism and hidden meanings that we would be able to gain insights into our fate and destiny.
Numbers hold special places in our lives in the form of birth dates, anniversaries, as well as our own lucky number. By studying and trying to understand our own unique numbers we can gain greater insight into our personalities, the good and the bad energies, and find out what makes us tick.
There are eleven numbers used in numerology calculations and charts which are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, and 22 – the last two are known as the master numbers.
One of the first things to consider is the Life Path number. This is calculated by adding together the numbers on the date of birth. For example 7th April 1984 would be 7 + 4 + 1 + 9 + 8 + 4 = 33. This is then reduced to a single figure by adding 3 + 3 = 6 which is the Life path number. If the date of birth numbers add up to 11 or 22 then this is not reduced further. Your Life Path number represents who you are when you are born and the traits that you have and that you will carry with you on your Life Path.
The Destiny number is calculated from the full birth name and this is the number that describes the tasks that you must achieve in this lifetime using the name that was given to you by your parents. This complete birth name is symbolic of the opportunities you have at your disposal. It may not be easy to live up to but it is your life’s purpose, spiritual mission, and your field of opportunity. Your Destiny number represents what you can aspire to or must become.
Add together the corresponding numbers of the letters of your full name and reduce to a single number, as before, or a master number.
1. A J S
2. B K T
3. C L U
4. D M V
5. E N W
6. F O X
7. G P Y
8. H Q Z
9. I R
The Personal Year calculation can help in recognizing the trend of the coming calendar year and what lies ahead for you. Reduce, as before, the month and day of birth to a single digit. In this case if it comes to 11 or 22 then reduce to 2 or 4. Then, reduce the year that you are interested in to a single digit. For example 2004 would become 6. Add the single digit of the birthday to the year to find the Personal Year.
These three calculations are the very least that one needs in order to start revealing anything about one’s personality and potentials.
1. LEADER. Beginnings. An ambitious achiever. Wants to demonstrate own ideas. Self sufficient and wilful. Wants to be individual and make a name.
2. PARTNER. A diplomatic peacemaker. Sensitive, supportive and aware of the needs of others. Artistic and magnetic.
3. OPTIMIST. An uplifting, enthusiastic energy. Versatile and easygoing, humorous and can be spontaneous. Enjoys life.
4. PRACTICAL. A traditional, determined type fond of construction and management. Realistic and concentrating.
5. PROGESSOR. Signifies change, movement, freedom. May be non-conventional and unpredictable.
6. SERVICE. A need for stability combined with nurturing, caring and harmony. Mindful of health and tradition. Teacher.
7. INVESTIGATOR. Signifies the search for meaning, depth and purpose. Enjoys solitude, may be eccentric.
8. POWER. A strong, natural leader and organised. May be dominating and materialistic.
9. UNIVERSAL. Multi-talented healer and humanitarian, always acting for the benefit of others. An artistic old-soul.
11.(Master #) IDEALIST. The principle of enlightenment. Highly strung energy, with psychological and artistic traits. Sensitive and not generally practical.
22. (Master #) MASTER BUILDER. Represents the principles of precision and balance. Capable of turning dreams into reality. Very confident with great ideas and plans – a visionary leader.